Lead Estimator H/F|
23/12/2019 | ref : 18854-32077155
Entreprise : COLAS SA - CSA 2020
Contrat : CDI
Salaire : Non communiqué
Lieu : Birmingham
Expérience : De 3 à 5 ans
Le groupe Colas est présent dans tous les métiers liés à la construction et l'entretien des routes et de toute autre forme d'infrastructures de transport ou d'aménagements urbains.
Responsible with the rest of the commercial team for formulating commercial strategies and solutions to support the development and implementation of the Company's strategic objectives within strategic bidding activities.
To manage the estimating resource and ensure the protection of the company's financial and corporate interests both in the preparation of bids and in operational delivery.
To work closely with all other parts of the commercial team, Pre-Construction Manager, Directors, Legal department, Central Services and operational businesses in the preparation of tenders and works opportunities.
Assist with the mobilisation of contracts and have an input into the day to day running of projects once they have been awarded where necessary.
Contribution will also be required to help produce tender quality document as the estimator will understand the fundamental elements of the project and hold vital key information which may help with the quality scoring of the tender.
* To effectively manage the Regional Estimating resource, prioritise and allocate tasks based upon the company's strategic objectives and the feedback from the OSG and Pre-Construction Manager.
* To liaise with Directors and Senior Managers to identify the corporate and strategic requirements and to ensure these are incorporated into effective commercial solutions for bids
* Ensure compliance with corporate governance requirements
* To liaise well and work closely with the Pre-Construction Manager to provide effective estimating solutions. Producing and overseeing estimates for opportunities from first principles.
* To ensure the Risk Management Process is properly used throughout the tendering process and continually reviewed.
* To assist in the development and completion of documentation required to meet Share-holder and UK Board approval, direct responsibility for the production of commercial elements of review documentation.
* To obtain information in support of bid assumptions, working with the Commercial manager in using this information in support of commercial solutions
* To liaise and develop long term relationships with others as required in client, supply chain and other partner organisations to maximise all potential business leads.
* To work closely with the Pre-Construction and Commercial Manager to ensure consistent and effective estimating practices are used within bids, across the company and within all the business units.
* Where in joint ventures to be the commercial liaison with partners, ensuring the company legal interests and commercial interests are protected and maintained.
* To ascertain, facilitate and where appropriate deliver training and development needs for members of the Commercial team and other disciplines within the company.
* To assist the Commercial Manager and Procurement Manager to negotiate terms, conditions and rates with suppliers, sub-contractors and supply chain partners.
* To support the Pre-construction Manager in the implementation of procurement, performance measurement, financial and contract management systems for new businesses and to ensure the effective monitoring of the systems and procedures during contract delivery.
* To conduct all duties and responsibilities in a manner that appropriately and adequately supports a commercial team located across the country.
* Provide support to other regions and business units in the submission of tender where directed.
* To conduct all duties and responsibilities in a manner that appropriately and adequately supports an estimating team located across the country in various regional offices.
* To work closely with the commercial team and operational staff to ensure delivery of the tender proposals through secured contracts and to facilitate an effective learning loop between tender proposals and contract delivery to inform future tender/contract arrangements.
* To work with the Pre-Construction Manager to measure the effectiveness of the estimating service through a small number of specific and focused performance indicators.
* To work closely with the Pre-Construction Manager to continuously improve the estimating service through innovation, lessons learned and best practice knowledge supported by demonstrable evidence of such improvement.
* The Estimating Manager will be expected to lead the commercial aspects of tender handover meetings following success and tender debrief sessions whether the tender is successful or unsuccessful.
* The Estimating Manager will lead the commercial elements of post contract review meeting to receive feedback on tender assumptions and their validity within the delivery of the project.
* Develop long-term relationships with others as required in, supply chain and other partner organisations to maximise tender efficiency.
* Liaise well with all members of the estimating and commercial teams to maintain synergy and promote best practice in the company's approach to these activities.
* Maintain an up to date awareness of activities and standards within Colas' business sectors as they relate to this appointment.
* C arry out all duties and responsibilities in a manner that supports the Company Values, Beliefs, Vision and Mission.
* Demonstrate appropriate experience, training and qualifications for the post.
* Ideally a Chartered Member of an Institution with a recognised University or College Degree in Estimating, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying or a related discipline
* Legal/commercial qualifications/training (beneficial)
* Management/leadership training/qualification preferred
* Demonstration of continuous professional development
The successful candidate is likely to be currently employed as a Managing/Senior Estimator in a Civil Engineering or infrastructure industry and have experience of successfully leading the estimating / bidding a number of complex sizeable contracts in the provision of transport infrastructure or civil engineering services.
In addition to the above experience the following skills would be advantageous
* Knowledge of the construction industry and its key processes including design
* Extensive experience in estimating related to asphalt and / or concrete paving
including the build-up of mix prices from first principles.
* Completing complex tenders on time, to the required quality standards.
* Needs to have all round technical understanding of the activities for which he/she is estimating, probably gained over a number of years' experience
* Developing and implementation of commercial strategies
* Experience of risk management within the tender stages of project development
* Experience of managing supply chain input into the tender process
* Understanding and inclusion of stakeholder requirements
* Experience of build-up of rates from first principles
* Demonstrable track record of success in the work winning environment
* Strong commitment to Health& Safety, Business Improvement, Quality and Environmental principles
* Commercial understanding of all aspects tender development
* Understanding and awareness of good customer service principles and practice.
* Able to identify and implement effective business management processes.
* Personal Attributes / Skills:
* Highly motivated and self-reliant.
* Extensive experience of producing estimates for aviation / surfacing and/or civil engineering contracts.
* Experience of using Causeway estimating software packages and IT literate in Microsoft Office suite.
* Ability to use Microsoft Project or Primavera P6 (beneficial)
* A confident leader of a team of technical specialists
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
* Good organisational skills / ability to work to tight deadlines.
* Ability to work as part of a team and use own initiative.
* Committed to partnering and integration
* Committed to continuous improvement and Innovation
Key Business Processes used by this Postholder:
Estimating / Work winning / Bid management
Informations complémentaires :
Leader mondial de la construction, de l'entretien et de la maintenance des infrastructures de transport, le Groupe COLAS a pour mission de promouvoir une mobilité responsable au service des usagers. Le champ de ses activités est vaste : routes, autoroutes, pistes d'aéroport, rails, aménagements urbains, signalisation routière, transport d'énergie, etc. En quelques chiffres, le Groupe COLAS, c'est 58 000 personnes, une présence dans 50 pays sur tous les continents, 13,2 milliards d'euros de CA en 2018 et 85 000 chantiers réalisés dans le monde chaque année.